Thursday, January 8, 2009

Drug Companies & Doctors: A Story of Corruption

I just finished an amazing article from the NY Review of Books on the too close relationship between doctors and drug companies. I have never been a fan of the pharmaceuticalisation of our world, and the recent conflicts of interest that have been coming to light lately don't make me feel any better about the situation.

I am reminded of a symposium call for papers from Econ Journal Watch entitled Economic Notes from Underground. The goal is to "provide an outlet for exploring preference falsification and other forms of moral or intellectual compromise within the economics profession". That is, the goal is to have economists anonymously admit to their poor research ethics, and I think its a wonderful idea.

Perhaps its time for medical researchers to begin admitting their dirty secrets?

No comments: