Monday, April 20, 2009

Photos from Ethiopia

I've been in Ethiopia the last week, and while internet connection was good, I was unable to post anything to my blog. Here are a few pictures I took while traveling up north. I have to say that Ethiopia has some very strange sites, right from the road.

The northern road is good, though it winds through a lot of mountains. This car unfortunately went off the side of the road in the Blue Nile Gorge a few weeks ago. I am told everyone was ok, but they don't know how to get the car down.


Here's a detail.


About 300 km north of Addis Ababa, burned out tanks litter the road side. I saw at least 12-15 of them over about 100 km. I was told they are left over from the civil war when the communist government fell. This one was in the best condition, with the tred and turrets still in place.


A male only monestary from the 13th century on an island in Lake Tana has an incredible collection of old books. This one took 161 goats skins to make.


And finally, in Gonder, a 200-300 year of church has an amazing ceiling, containing 104 hand painted angels looking down at you, all with very quizicle looks on their faces.

No comments: